Diving/Dead Camera

>> Monday, July 6, 2009

Today I made the mistake of holding my already broken camera too close to the surface of the ocean and a small wave lightly crashed into it. A couple of hours later the lens wouldn't extend all the way. I tried taking this picture during my resort course dive instruction. It is Martha and Shayla our gringa dive instructor. Alas the camera is defuncto. I wept, I grieved. Nonetheless after a mere hour of instruction I dove into clear waters off the coast of Akumal. I had taken a course 20 years ago and "certified" in Lake Jackson, GA.-- a murky tree strewn body of water. But this time I actually entered the ocean and dove to 45 feet. It was quite nice although I had a lot of trouble maneuvering. I couldn't quite get the hang of moving about freely. According to Shayla I was slightly bent like an inverted "v" and therefore adding more bouyancy to my already bouyant self. At times I almost had the hang of it. I think I needed one more weight on my belt but Shayla said no via her dive instructor "chalk board". Who was I to argue at that time and place? The reef was amazing. Too bad most of my concentration was on getting around. Martha, however, was like a fish in the water and was having a great time. She and Shayla kept a close eye on the rookie and I never felt unsafe or ill at ease except for feeling like a fish out of the water except I was a human in the water so the metaphor kind of sucks, sort of. Afterwards I was exhausted and a little nauseous aboard the boat but came out of it with just a few light remnants of emotional scarring. You know the kind where you think you are the manly man but your woman out manly mans you...... sigh... I'll have to readjust at the golf course.

Posted by Picasa

0 comments: